The Journey to Wellness
The JACQUES Initiative holistic care delivery model is described as the Journey to Wellness. We are committed to leading individuals, their families and supporters, communities, and various social sectors of the City of Baltimore.
The journey to wellness begins by going to individuals, families, and communities to engage them in wellness care. We accomplish this through
- HIV testing in our Emergency Room Testing Program, Outreach Testing, and Walk-in Testing
- Outreach and education at the University of Maryland Infectious Disease hospital unit, multiple drug treatment centers, transitional houses, and the Department of Corrections and through Project SHALEM
- Our Connect-to-Care Clinic that is open five days a week for walk-ins and provides counseling, medical and case management services to anyone newly diagnosed, reconfirmed positive, or re-establishing care.
- The JACQUES Initiative advocates for community wellness, trains volunteers for HIV testing, and empowers local organizations to be engaged in the HIV crisis
We prepare our clients and their support systems for a lifetime of wellness in addition to preparing our community to address prevention, stigma, treatment and support. We accomplish this through
- HIV education workshops that provide information, encouragement, and hope
- Wellness and adherence evaluations in order to develop comprehensive treatment plans and motivate goal setting
- Training leaders in the faith, academic, arts and entertainment, and civic communities to propel a message of hope, prevention, and reduced stigma
With a focus on individual health and community wellness, comprehensive and integrated care is provided at a single location through a multidisciplinary team approach that includes:
- Primary medical care
- Case management
- Mental health services
- Substance abuse services
- Clinical research
A support network for patients assists in accomplishing wellness goals through:
- Peer advocacy and coaching
- An integrated pharmacy offering daily or weekly medication dosage
- Support groups to both general and specific audiences
- Field trips, a food pantry, and café supported by community volunteers
- Active engagement of family and friends
Client volunteerism, linkage to job training and placement, and personal independence are essential to a patient's lifetime success and sustained wellness. We provide continual training and encouragement to partner community organizations in addition to mentorship of volunteers, students, and HIV professionals.